Friday, August 7, 2009

Our first day of homeschool...

Well, so far, we are loving it! We started early, because we wanted to be sure we had time to be flexible with our schedule. We are using Alpha Omega's Switched On Schoolhouse which is all on the computer. Our first day was Wednesday. The kids got up (Adam an hour earlier than Molly) and sat down at their laptops to do their lessons. Adam finished his core subjects in about 3 hours, then did his Spanish and handwriting lessons. Molly began to whine and complain shortly into her school work, and I heard the dreaded, "I hate school!" So I sat down at her computer with her and walked her through her lessons, and then she felt much better. It turns out that her language is more difficult than the A Beka that she is used to having. Today on day three, I still had to sit with her some and help her some. But she is getting the hang of it, and she doesn't complain and whine any more.

Yesterday, we went to the Pink Palace museum with some friends and had lunch. Then we had time in the afternoon to get our scheduled school work done. Today, they worked some in the morning, then did some house work, and now some friends are here to swim. Molly has a little work left to do this afternoon.

I know we have only had three days, but I feel like we have accomplished a lot already (Adam had a history quiz today and Molly had a math quiz), and we have SOOOO much less stress and pressure compared to a regular school year. There's no homework to do in the evenings, and the kids have so much more time to enjoy...well...what they enjoy.

I am doing more teaching at Jo-Ann these days, since it seems that more people are finding out that the store is there. I have two classes tomorrow, one at 10:00 and one at 1:00, so I will be there all day. Lee will have fun with the kids all day. Hopefully.

No comments: