Friday, November 7, 2008

What season is it again?

I know many of you aren't plant people, but if you know me well at all, you know I am. So humor me, OK? I went out in the backyard this afternoon to put the new water bags on the pool cover net (long story), and some of my plants are growing better than ever back there! And we never go into the back yard unless we are swimming, so we don't get to enjoy them.

Lo and behold, we still have tomatoes! I thought I had nearly killed the plants when they went for a week in hot weather without being watered when we went out of town in September.
The ginger has put out two more bunches of beautiful, sweet-smelling blooms. I wished it bloomed earlier in the year too!
The impatiens love the cooler weather.My bougainvillea hasn't bloomed yet this year, but it is looking really good now. With my luck, it will bloom right after I stash it in the garage for the winter.
The purple and green I combined in this pot has finally taken off. The coleus has suffered a bit from a lack of water, but the sweet potato vines are thriving.

The huge holly bushes (trees, really) between our house and the neighbors' are giving us a preview of the season to come, though! I like to cut off branches and decorate with them at Christmas time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey janey! your blog looks so cute! nice pics. i thought you quit blogging....i had the wrong blog address in my sidebar! i'm such a goof! miss you guys!

Janey said...

Thanks, Heather! I got the link for the blog design site from your page. We miss you guys too! Are y'all coming up for the holidays?

Tabatha said...

My impatiens are thriving now too! They are growing wildly even after my hubby took the trimmer to them several times. I am awful when it comes to weeding. And my rose bush is a determined survivor in this crazy weather as well...
I'm adding your blog to my list!

Janey said...

Thanks, Tabatha! We've added your blog too--Molly loved looking at pics of your kids yesterday!